Police release name of suspect in Oxford store shooting
by Rachael Griffin
Jan 21, 2013 | 22795 views |  0 comments | 61 61 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Anthony Scott Brown
Anthony Scott Brown
Oxford Police on Monday identified a man shot by police Friday in a mini-mall on Snow Street.

Anthony Scott Brown, 50, was killed after he threatened officers with a knife in Dr. Phonefix and Accessories store across from the Quintard Mall on Friday afternoon, police Chief Bill Partridge said. Partridge said Brown had recently graduated from the Oxford Tri-County Outreach drug and alcohol rehabilitation program; police are unsure where Brown had been living after his completion of the program. State records show Brown’s last known address was in Gadsden.

Partridge said Brown was wanted on two warrants for his arrest, one for third-degree burglary from Jan. 9 through the Oxford Police Department, and another for first-degree theft of a vehicle from Jan. 11 through the Anniston Police Department.

Police and Calhoun County Coroner Pat Brown located Brown's family Monday afternoon. Partridge said police contacted Brown’s brother, who lives in Etowah County, through the suspect’s cell phone.

Lt. L.G. Owens said Oxford police helped the coroner search for family of Brown on Monday.

The lieutenant said he’s never experienced an instance like this. Owens said Brown had no emergency contact listed in his phone. He also didn’t include labels like “Mom” or “Dad” on any of his contacts.

“It makes things very difficult for us,” Owens said. “He didn’t have anything to assist us.”

Oxford officers approached Anthony Scott Brown Friday afternoon in the store on Snow Street. Just before, Oxford police received a call from someone who recognized Brown as the man who had allegedly burglarized a home.

Partridge said officers could smell alcohol on Brown’s breath and could see he was intoxicated. One of the officers asked Brown to step out in the parking lot to speak to him. Brown cursed at the officer and said he wasn’t going outside, Partridge said.

According to Partridge, Brown then pulled out a knife, which was approximately 6 or 7 inches long, and began slashing at the officers. The chief said police yelled at Brown to drop the weapon.

Partridge said officers used a stun gun on the man in an attempt to avoid deadly force, but it was ultimately ineffective, possibly due to Brown’s thick clothing. Partridge said Brown continued to “charge the officers” and they shot and killed him inside the store. No one else was harmed in the shooting.

Staff Writer Rachael Griffin: 256-235-3562. On Twitter @RGriffin_Star.

Comments must be made through Facebook
No personal attacks
No name-calling
No offensive language
Comments must stay on topic
No infringement of copyrighted material

Friends to Follow

Today's Events

event calendar

post a new event

Wednesday, April 23, 2014