Events at the Hobson City Public Library, 610 Martin Luther King Drive, include:
• Family night, 5:30-7 p.m., Mondays, food, activities, crafts and more are sponsored by Anniston Community Education Foundation.
• Saturday afternoon movies, 2 p.m., free event sponsored by Ross Handy Mart.
Call 256-231-7069 for more information.
Events at the Public Library of Anniston-Calhoun County, 108 E. 10th St., include:
• Monday movie, noon.
• Story time, 10 a.m., Tuesday.
• Kids movie, 4 p.m., Wednesday.
• Book making workshop, 4 p.m., Thursday, also April 11, learn about writing a story, editing, illustrating and binding.
• Super Hero Academy, 4-5:30 p.m., April 9 in the children’s department. Super stations open at 4 p.m. to get your official super hero name and earn your official super hero certificate.
• Teen Green: Grand opening of the new teen department, 4 p.m., April 10.
• Lego’s League, all day, April 13 in the children’s department.
Call 256-237-8501 for more information.
A new 4-week art class will begin April 1 at Friendship Community Center, Oxford. Beginners are welcome. The instructor will be Jack Hadder. Pre-registration is required. Call 256-488-5510 to register or for more information.
AARP safe driving class will be 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. April 6 at the Oxford Public Library. Anyone who has a valid driver’s license may take the class. Upon completion of the class you may qualify for a discount on your auto insurance. The cost is $12 for AARP members and $14 for non-members. Call 256-294-2301 for registration or more information.
A Calhoun County rabies clinic will be held April 6 at the following times and locations:
• 7:30-9 a.m., Winn Dixie, Coldwater.
• 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m., Weaver City Park.
• 8-9 a.m., Jacksonville High School.
• 9:30-10:30 a.m., Ohatchee OldTown Square.
• 11 a.m.-noon, Alexandria High School.
The vaccination will cost $10 and no other vaccines will be available. Call 256-435-9398 for more information.
A benefit memorial concert will be held at 7:30 p.m. EST, April 13 at Copeland Hall, 100 Barr Ave., Bowdon, Ga. All proceeds will be used to benefit the Ranburne High School Athletic fund. Michael Tolcher and Bowdon native, Gareth Asher, will perform. Visit www.eventbrite.com and search Judy R. Turner concert in Bowdon, Ga., for tickets or more information.
The American Cancer Society’s Road to Recovery program is in need of volunteer drivers in Calhoun County for cancer patients who need transportation to treatment. Training for prospective drivers will be held at 10 a.m. April 19 at Northeast Alabama Regional Medical Center, Physicians Center, Suite 403, 400 E. 10th St. Contact Alison Shirley, the Society’s local staff partner, at 205-930-8884 or email Alison.firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer or for more information.
The Youth Group of The Salvation Army of Anniston is running a local/national discount card fundraiser through May 1. The discount card offers specials at many local businesses as well as national chains. The proceeds will go towards the youth ministries and outreach programs for the Salvation Army of Anniston. Call Alphonso Hughes Jr. at 256-236-5643 for more information.
The West Anniston Foundation is accepting scholarship applications for the 2013-2014 academic year for graduating seniors or students currently enrolled in a two- or four-year college. Applications may be found at www.westannistonfdn.org or at the office located at 1700 W. 10th St. Completed applications must be submitted no later than 4 p.m. Friday.
“Take Pride in Jacksonville” will be held at 8:30 a.m. April 13 at Jacksonville City Hall. The event is an opportunity for residents to spruce up their neighborhoods and their community. The Jacksonville-Piedmont landfill will be free from 7-11:30 a.m. for Jacksonville residents. Cub Scout Pack 19 will be at City Hall collecting aluminum cans. The event is sponsored by the City of Jacksonville, RSVP, Calhoun County Recycling Center, Calhoun County Beautification Board and County Commissioner Rudy Abbott. Call RSVP at 256-435-5091 for more information.
A Miss and Mr. Relay for Life beauty/talent pageant will be held April 13 at the Heflin Civic Center in Heflin. All proceeds will go to the American Cancer Society. The event is sponsored by East Heflin Relay for Life team. Call 256-463-2532, 256-236-3548 or email email@example.com for more information.