Man and rescuers injured in Oxford house fire
by Rachael Griffin
rgriffin@annistonstar.com
Apr 17, 2013 | 7898 views |  0 comments | 10 10 recommendations | email to a friend | print
A man was taken to a Birmingham hospital Tuesday after an Oxford house fire, and his rescuers also required treatment.

The fire occurred Tuesday morning in a house at 130 Stone St., according to Oxford police Chief Bill Partridge.

Partridge said he was first to arrive at the burning house, where a neighbor told him a man was still inside. Partridge said he went inside and found Franklin Odom, 80, lying on the floor in a hallway.

“The fire got too hot and the smoke was too heavy, so I had to come back out,” Partridge said.

The police chief said he wasn’t wearing any protective equipment, but shortly after Oxford fire Chief Gary Sparks arrived and rescued Odom.

Sparks said Odom was airlifted to UAB Hospital.

Sparks and Partridge were unsure of Odom’s condition Wednesday. A spokeswoman at UAB said she could not locate any patient by that name.

Sparks, Partridge and two Oxford medics were taken to Regional Medical Center and treated for smoke inhalation.

“My chest hurts and my throat hurts,” Partridge said this morning.

Partridge was at work Wednesday and Sparks said he would return Thursday.

Sparks said the fire was under investigation Wednesday by the Alabama Fire Marshal’s Office.

Oxford fire Capt. Ben Stewart said the one-story home was severely damaged, but firefighters were able to control the flames within five minutes of their arrival.

“The house is going to be a loss on the inside,” Stewart said.

Stewart said the cause of the fire was unknown this morning.

Staff Writer Rachael Griffin: 256-235-3562. On Twitter @RGriffin_Star.
Comments must be made through Facebook
No personal attacks
No name-calling
No offensive language
Comments must stay on topic
No infringement of copyrighted material


Friends to Follow


Today's Events

event calendar

post a new event

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Marketplace