Police quiet on autopsy results for 5-year-old; Two charged in child abuse case at same address
by Rachael Brown
Jul 29, 2013 | 10539 views |  0 comments | 53 53 recommendations | email to a friend | print
A cross stood Tuesday morning outside the home of a 5-year-old boy who died Friday. (Photo by Bill Wilson/The Anniston Star)
A cross stood Tuesday morning outside the home of a 5-year-old boy who died Friday. (Photo by Bill Wilson/The Anniston Star)
Anniston police said Monday they had received a preliminary autopsy report on a 5-year-old boy who died Friday, but would not yet release further details. Meanwhile, two people were charged Monday in a separate case of child abuse Friday at the same address where the boy was found.

The 5-year-old boy was taken from his home on Wilmer Avenue Friday to Stringfellow Memorial Hospital after police responded to an emergency call. The boy was later taken to Children’s Hospital in Birmingham, where he died Friday afternoon.

Anniston police Capt. Allen George said police charged two people Monday afternoon with a separate case of child abuse that took place Friday at the same address. George said a 7-year-old girl was abused Friday afternoon. He declined to release details of her injuries.

The girl’s father, Vonta Montrell McClellan, 26, of Anniston, was charged with abusing the 7-year-old.

The warrant for his arrest states McClellan beat the girl with a belt. McClellan was in the Anniston City Jail Monday afternoon, according to a jail employee. McClellan’s cash bond is set at $500,000.

George said Department of Human Resources personnel went to the 1200 block of Ferron Avenue on Sunday to meet with the girl’s mother. The mother, Secret Teshondra Huguley, 23, grabbed the girl and fled in a car, George said. Huguley and her four children were found, George said, and DHR took custody of the kids.

Huguley was charged with tampering with physical evidence, a misdemeanor, court documents show. Huguely was released on a $1,000 bond from the Anniston City Jail Monday afternoon. Huguley’s bond is under the condition that she have no contact with her daughter, according to court documents.

Johnnie Johnson, the landlord of the family of the 5-year-old boy, on Monday described the child, whom he called Gregory, as a “sweet little boy.” Johnson said the boy’s mother rented the house on the 2400 block of Wilmer Avenue and he’d known the family for six months.

Johnson said Gregory always smiled and said hello whenever they saw each other.

“It’s a hard thing to swallow,” Johnson said. “He was a great kid.”

The boy was part of the reason the family went to the Victory Headquarters Christian Center next door to their home, he said.

“He came to Sunday school all the time and came to church. He said he wanted to be a pastor,” Johnson said.

Authorities still had not released the child’s name Monday. Attempts to reach Calhoun County Coroner Pat Brown were unsuccessful.

Staff Writer Rachael Brown: 256-235-3562. On Twitter @RBrown_Star.

Comments must be made through Facebook
No personal attacks
No name-calling
No offensive language
Comments must stay on topic
No infringement of copyrighted material

Friends to Follow

Today's Events

event calendar

post a new event

Sunday, April 20, 2014