No one injured in Jacksonville apartment fire
by Rachael Brown
rbrown@annistonstar.com
Aug 14, 2013 | 5720 views |  0 comments | 70 70 recommendations | email to a friend | print
About 20 residents were evacuated from a Jacksonville apartment complex Tuesday night after a blaze caused by a bathroom fan.

Jacksonville fire Chief Wade Buckner said no one was injured during the fire.

The fire started in a bathroom at The Reserve Apartments complex, which provides off-campus housing for Jacksonville State University students, at 331 Nesbit St. around 10:30 p.m., according to a press release sent by Buckner.

An exhaust fan in a bathroom started the fire, the chief said in the release, and firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the flames. The building sustained no serious damage, he said.

Buckner said the Fire Department has received 22 calls to the apartment complex in the last year, with only four of those calls requiring firefighters to put out a blaze.

The apartments have built-in sprinklers that have aided firefighters several times, Buckner said.

During Tuesday’s fire, approximately 20 people were evacuated from their apartments. Buckner said there are usually more people living in the complex while classes are in full swing at JSU.

The chief said many of the tenants did not respond to the fire alarm, which is a continuous problem at local apartment complexes.

“We’re having to constantly go out and wake everybody up. They’re not heeding the warning,” Buckner said.

Buckner said he believes when there’s such a high number of false alarms in apartment buildings that the residents stop paying attention to the alarms.

“They just get numb to it,” Buckner said. “It’s going to get somebody hurt someday.”

Staff Writer Rachael Brown: 256-235-3562. On Twitter @RBrown_Star.

Comments must be made through Facebook
No personal attacks
No name-calling
No offensive language
Comments must stay on topic
No infringement of copyrighted material


Friends to Follow



Today's Events

event calendar

post a new event

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Marketplace