Hobson City mayor: No vote needed to dismiss town clerk charged with theft
by Eddie Burkhalter
eburkhalter@annistonstar.com
Nov 25, 2013 | 2779 views |  0 comments | 55 55 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Shelia Jones
Shelia Jones
slideshow
HOBSON CITY – Following charges that she mishandled town funds, Shelia Jones will no longer serve as Hobson City’s town clerk, and her dismissal will not require a vote by the council, Mayor Alberta McCrory explained Monday.

McCrory said Jones violated the terms of her probationary employment agreement when she turned herself in to Calhoun County sheriff’s deputies Aug. 7, after being charged with tampering with government records and obstructing government operations.

Jones used her position as clerk to avoid paying garnishments of her own wages, McCrory told The Star in August.

Because of the charges, the council does not have to vote to fire Jones, explained McCrory.

McCrory said Jones was hired on a temporary basis in November 2012. Jones had been on unpaid leave since her arrest.

“She did not go through her probationary period, and we never made a resolution to hire her,” McCrory said, adding that in the coming days she will post an opening for town clerk.

Council members planned to hold an executive session to discuss Jones’ charges, but town attorney Jake Mathews said during Monday’s meeting that wouldn’t be necessary.

Jones, 38, of Anniston was indicted by a Calhoun County grand jury in October on charges she stole between $500 and $2,500 from Hobson City sometime between Feb. 1 and Aug. 2.

Calhoun County District Judge Chris McIntyre on Oct. 15 granted prosecutors’ requests to dismiss two misdemeanor charges against Jones. A grand jury, however, later indicted Jones on a felony charge of theft of property.

Jones’ arraignment is set for Dec. 19 at the Calhoun County Courthouse.

In other business, the council:

— Approved a motion to install a street light on Bruce Street.

— Discussed problems with a bridge on Martin Luther King Drive near the intersection of Washington Street. Officials with the Alabama Department of Transportation have declared the bridge unsafe for regular traffic. Traffic cones now narrow traffic to one lane over the bridge.

Traffic will be rerouted for school buses, tractor trailer trucks and other vehicles that weigh over 10 tons, and signs will soon be posted directing those vehicles to an alternate route, McCrory said.

McCory said she’ll be talking with state and local officials to get the bridge fixed as soon as possible.

“I’m waiting for some calls back,” McCrory said.

Staff writer Eddie Burkhalter: 256-235-3563. On Twitter @Burkhalter_Star.

Comments must be made through Facebook
No personal attacks
No name-calling
No offensive language
Comments must stay on topic
No infringement of copyrighted material


Friends to Follow



Today's Events

event calendar

post a new event

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Marketplace