Boy, age 1, dies in Piedmont house fire Friday
by Bill Edwards
Star Staff Writer
Dec 21, 2013 | 10147 views |  0 comments | 80 80 recommendations | email to a friend | print
A house fire Friday night in Piedmont claimed the life of a 1-year-old boy.

Calhoun County Coroner Pat Brown said the boy, Korbyn Stitts, died approximately 8:10 p.m. The coroner's preliminary finding is that the cause was smoke inhalation.

Brown said state fire investigators will visit the scene of the blaze on North Church Street later today to determine its cause and origin, but added that based on a conversation he had with a grandmother who lived in the house, the fire apparently originated with a space heater.

Brown said he learned from the grandmother, Drusilla Stitts, that the fire blocked her way into the room where the boy was.

“Several attempts,” Brown said, were made by her and by rescue personnel to reach the boy, but to no avail. The woman was able to ensure that three other young children in the house reached safety, however.

“She saved those three children and focused on the other child,” Brown said.

No other persons were in the house, he said. The dwelling was the grandmother’s house and was a total loss, Brown said.

Reach Bill Edwards at (256) 235-3542

Comments must be made through Facebook
No personal attacks
No name-calling
No offensive language
Comments must stay on topic
No infringement of copyrighted material


Friends to Follow



Most Recommended

Boy, age 1, dies in Piedmont house fire Friday by Bill Edwards
Star Staff Writer

Today's Events

event calendar

post a new event

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Marketplace