•The Angels from Grace beauty pageant will be held May 18 at Faith Temple Christian in Jacksonville. Ages are infant to 18. For more information call 256-499-6654.
• “Kick Off to Summer Fun” featuring the Caribbean Chrome Steel Drum Music will be held Friday, May 3 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the Jacksonville Community Center Soccer Pavilion. Grab your chairs and Hawaiian shirt. Tickets are $8 for adults and $4 for children. Ticket includes hamburger, chips and drink. All proceeds go to the Jacksonville Senior Citizens Center and RSVP program. Call 256-435-9199 for tickets.
•The Jacksonville State University Small Business Center, the SBA, and the Calhoun County Chamber will offer one-on-one counseling for prospectoive and existing business oweners at no charge on Thursday, May 2 from 1 to 4 p.m. at the Chamber office. It is necessary you make an appointment. For more information, or to make an appointment, call 256-782-5271.
• YOU’RE INVITED TO LUNCH & LEARN….A series of free gardening programs sponsored by Calhoun County Master Gardeners & Calhoun County Commission held the 4th Wednesday of each month at the Cane Creek Community Garden at McClellan from noon-1pm ; bring your own lunch!
May 22 “Alabama the Beautiful”: Lisa Harris, Scenic Alabama
June 26 “A Simple Water Feature for the Garden”: Hayes Jackson, ACES
July 24 “Herb Gardening”: Dani Carroll, ACES
August 28 “Getting to Know the Talladega National Forest: Part 2”: Jonathan Stober, District Biologist
September 25 “Gardening for Dry Places”: Hayes Jackson, ACES
Speakers & topics subject to change. Contact the Extension Office to confirm. 256 237 1621
• There will be a Cedar Springs class reunion on Saturday, May 18 with special recognition for former beloved teacher Mary Frances Angel Hyde. We encourage all former students and friends of Mrs. Hyde to come to honor her. Meat will be provided, and we ask that you bring a covered dish for the lunch which will begin at noon.
It will be at Danny Bryant’s home at 3475 Wellington Road in Wellington. For directions and further information, please contact Linda Carr Ferguson at (256) 435-2244.
• New classes for the Jacksonville State University Adult Wellness classes are: Monday, Wednesday and Friday: Senior water aerobics and senior floor aerobic classes, 8 a.m., Jacksonville State University, Pete Mathews Coliseum. Contact Aubrey Crossen at 256-689-2580 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and: Tuesday and Thursday: Senior water aerobics and senior therapeutic yoga classes, 8 a.m., Jacksonville State University, Pete Mathews Coliseum. Contact Aubrey Crossen at 256-689-2580 or email@example.com for more information.
• Doris Haan has several trips planned for 2013. A trip to Savannah, Ga., and surrounding areas is set for May 6-10. Call Haan at 492-3465 to make reservations or for more information.
• Yarns by HPF invites you to join us at the shop for Knit (Crochet Too) Night every 1st and 3rd Thursday, from 5-7 at 402 Pelham Rd. N., in the Subway Shopping Center. Call 256-452-5206 if you have any questions.
• The Alabama Shutterbugs, a new club for all skill level of photographers, meets the second Tuesday of each month, 5:30 PM, at the Peerless Grill, 13 W 10th St. Anyone interested in photography is welcome to join us. For more information call 256.236.8488.
• Applications for Head Start are now being taken. Come visit a Head Start/Early Head Start Center in your community and talk with center coordinators or family advocates. For additional information in Calhoun and Cleburne counties call Gayle McClellan at 256-237-8628. Head Start Centers located in Calhoun County are Norwood, Piedmont, Ayers, Constantine and Hobson City. Children must be three years old by Sept. 1.
• Yoshukai Karate of Jacksonville offers classes at the Jacksonville Community Center on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:30-8 p.m. For more information call 256-282-5425.
• Mom to Mom, a group for moms of all ages with children of all ages, meets from 6:30-8:30 p.m. the third Monday every month at EaglePoint Church, Jacksonville. Visit www.momtomomjacksonville.org. Supper and childcare provided.
• The Jacksonville Aspiring Writers Group meets from 4:30 to 6 p.m. on the first and third Tuesday of every month at the Jacksonville Public Library. Anyone interested in the creative writing process is welcome. Please bring samples of your original writing to share. The group offers support, critique and information about writing and possible publishing venues. Call 256-782-2881 for more information.
• Alcoholics Anonymous meets at noon each Thursday at St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, 400 Chinabee Ave., just off the Square. Call 256-847-0909.
• A Narcotics Anonymous group meets from 6:30-7:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays at First United Methodist Church behind McDonald’s. For more information, call Pearl Williams at 256-435-4881.
• A senior dance for those 55 years and older will be at the Senior Center from 6:30-9:30 p.m. the second Friday night of each month, featuring music, fun, friends and food. The Fun Tyme Band will be there to provide the music. $5 per couple, $3 for single.
• The Friday Night Opry Show is presented from 6:30-9:30 Friday nights at the Golden Saw Music Hall in the Williams community. Call 256-435-4696.
• Celebrate Recovery, a Christ-centered 12-step program, meets every Friday night at First Baptist Church in Jacksonville. Dinner is served at 5:30. Large group meetings with worship and praise bands and guest speakers begin at 6:30. Small share/support groups meet after that at 7:30 p.m., followed with cake and fellowship. Call 256-435-7263 or 256-225-2492.
• Ladies, come pray with us on the square in Jacksonville at 10 a.m. the first Thursday of each month. We will be praying for our city, our churches and pastors, our schools and children, our officials and businesses. If you have questions, call Polly Angelette at 256-435-7016.
• Jacksonville Fire Department is looking for information and items relating to the history of the department. If you have anything to share, call David Bell at 256- 310-8961.