Lisa Davis: Settling in like cats and dogs
Sep 15, 2013 | 1993 views |  0 comments | 26 26 recommendations | email to a friend | print
The first day in the new house, the dog curled up on her bed and refused to move.

My son did much the same thing.

The cat, temporarily confined indoors, prowled around like a caged beast. At 3 a.m., he stalked the hallway, yowling at each door until he figured out which one opened into the bedroom. Then this cat, which really didn’t want that much to do with us at the old house, batted open the door, trotted across the floor and jumped onto the bed.

He landed on my husband, who awoke with a holler.

The cat bolted out and retreated upstairs, where he discovered another bedroom and proceeded to sleep on top of my son’s head.

The second day in the new house, the dog got up and deigned to eat a little something (although she refused to eat in the kitchen because she kept skidding on the linoleum floors).

Then she trotted happily out the door. We kept a close eye on her. In the old house, she stayed in a fenced yard (although she was very adept at escaping from it, after which she would roam the neighborhood barking at runners, worrying smaller dogs and skillfully avoiding capture).

The new house does not have a fence. It has four acres of woods.

It was a thing of beauty to see the dog run free, tail and tongue blowing in the wind.

The four dogs next door are also allowed to run free. When my dog met up with the neighbor dogs, there was much snuffling and posing and preening, after which my dog was accepted into the gang on a trial basis.

Meanwhile, in a bid to save everyone’s sanity, the cat was also allowed outside. He disappeared into the woods for eight hours, before returning home for supper.

The third day in the new house, there was a full-scale panic because we couldn’t find the coffee. I piled into my car and headed down our long, long driveway.

I never knew the dog liked to chase cars.

She raced alongside me, tail and tongue blowing in the wind, seemingly intent on following me the whole four miles to the grocery store.

I came to a halt, got out of the car and yelled at the dog to go on back home. She paid no attention. I may have lobbed a few pinecones at her.

That’s when I noticed my new neighbor standing out in his yard, watching the proceedings with interest.

I introduced myself and explained that the reason I was standing next to my car on a beautiful Saturday morning lobbing pinecones at my dog was because I hadn’t had any coffee yet.

My neighbor gave me a bag of coffee. German coffee. Freshly ground.

I love my dog.

Contact Lisa Davis at
Comments must be made through Facebook
No personal attacks
No name-calling
No offensive language
Comments must stay on topic
No infringement of copyrighted material

Friends to Follow

Today's Events

event calendar

post a new event

Friday, April 18, 2014