— The Wicked Witch of the West, The Wizard of Oz, 1939
You won’t hear that famous movie line in Broadway in Birmingham’s current production of Wicked, this “untold story of the witches of Oz,” but there are plenty of references to that wonderful land.
In Wicked, a Broadway musical that has won 35 major awards, the story concentrates on the life of Elphaba, the “wicked” witch, and Galinda, the “good” witch, who later shortens her name to Glinda. Elphaba, born green, has always lived a difficult life, but things start to look up in college when she befriends Galinda and meets her love, Fiyero. When she’s sent on a special trip to the meet the beloved Wizard of Oz, she discovers that this wonderful man isn’t really that great. The wizard, fearing Elphaba will go public with his misdeeds, starts a mass witch hunt and Elphaba goes underground in fear for her life. The story stays somewhat true toward the end — Dorothy and her house kill Elphaba’s sister, and then the pig-tailed girl kills the witch by melting her with water.
By the end of the show, you’ve learned a lot about the life of these witches, who are some of the most well-known in pop culture. So let’s see how much you know about other famous witches and their doings.
1. What was Samantha’s maiden name on the television show Bewitched?
d) It’s never known
2. What 1987 movie starred Cher, Michelle Pfieffer and Susan Sarandon as a coven of witches?
a) Witches of Eastwick
b) Hocus Pocus
c) The Craft
d) Practical Magic
3. How many people were convicted and executed on charges of practicing witchcraft during the 1692 Salem Witch Trials?
4. In which comic did Sabrina, the teenage witch, first appear?
d) Patsy Walker
5. What kind of flower adorns the top of long-running comic strip character Broom Hilda?
6. In which state did the 1999 horror film The Blair Witch Project take place?
7. In the 1990 movie, The Witches, based on the Roald Dahl book of the same name, what is the protagonist turned in to?
8. On the television show Charmed, what was the name of the fourth sister who appeared in the fourth season?
9. Who played Hermione in the Harry Potter movies?
a) Emma Watson
b) Emma Stone
c) Emma Williams
d) Emma Thompson
10. Which Pevensie child was tempted by the White Witch in the book (or movie) The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe?
Answers: 1. d, 2. a, 3. b, 4. b, 5. b, 6. a, 7. b, 8. c, 9. a, 10. c
What: Award-winning Broadway musical based on the novel by Gregory Maquire.
When: Through March 4
Where: BJCC, 1500 Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd., Birmingham
How much: $80-$144 per ticket