New board member Donna Ross was elected president of the board and another new board member, Mary Klinefelter, was elected vice chair, both on 3-1 votes. Incumbent board member Bill Robison abstained from both votes with no explanation, while the other incumbent member, William Hutchings voted against both nominations.
Hutchings had earlier nominated Robison for the post of board president, but Robison declined.
Ross will also be the board’s delegate to the Alabama Association of School Boards with newly-elected board member C.K. Huguley serving as the alternate delegate. Those nominations were accepted with a unanimous vote.
Hutchings didn’t let his board experience go unrecognized. As Huguley quizzed Superintendent Joan Frazier at length about an afterschool tutoring program during a discussion of new hires, Hutchings addressed the freshman board member.
“Dr. Huguley, you got your package three days before the meeting,” Hutchings said. “I would say that when you go through that package and see some things that you want to ask the superintendent about, I think you need to ask the superintendent, not just in this open meeting time, and just come and ask her.”
Huguley took the suggestion gracefully, explaining that she had met with Frazier earlier.
“But thank you for your guidance on that,” Huguley said.
In other business board members:
• Recognized Danterius Kelly, an Anniston High School junior, who will represent Anniston at a Regional and National Rotary Leadership Conference in January in Huntsville. It has been eight years since a student from Anniston High was selected to represent the city at the conference, Frazier said.
• Unanimously approved a request from Donoho School to use Anniston High School’s auditorium on May 3 and 4 to perform “The Sound of Music.”
• Set the time of future board meetings for the third Thursday of the month at 5:30 p.m. The change passed 4-1 with Hutchings voting no.
• Unanimously approved a contract for a remedial reading program at Anniston Middle School. The program has been used at the high school for a year.
• Scheduled the December board meeting for Dec. 13 at 5:30 p.m. and a work session for Dec. 11 at 5:30 p.m.
Staff writer Laura Camper: 256-235-3545. On Twitter @LCamper_Star.