Each month, we feature recipes from our readers, and give away a prize to one lucky winner. Our December contest is for Christmas cookies, and we’ll give away a copy of the book “Share the Bounty: Finding God’s Grace Through the Spirit of Hospitality” by Benita Long.
To enter, email recipes to Features Editor Lisa Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org (please put “Recipe Swap” in the subject line). Or mail to Lisa Davis, “Recipe Swap,” Anniston Star, P.O. Box 189, Anniston, AL 36202. Please include your name and mailing address.
Recipes must be received by Friday.
Dining out for Thanksgiving
This year, you can be thankful you don’t have to cook a huge meal. Here are some local restaurants that will be open for Turkey Day.
• Garfrerick’s Café in Oxford will feature a gourmet Thanksgiving buffet from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Thursday. $23.50 per person. 256-831-0044.
• The Peerless Grille in downtown Anniston will be open at 4 p.m. Thursday, serving traditional turkey dinner as well as its regular full menu. 256-238-1899.
• Western Sizzlin in Anniston and Oxford will be open 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Thursday. Adults $9.95, children 10 and under, $4.95, not including drinks.
• Golden Corral at Oxford Exchange will be open 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Thursday with a Thanksgiving buffet for $12.99.
• Cracker Barrel in Oxford will serve a Thanksgiving turkey and dressing meal, complete with baked ham, sweet potato casserole, cranberry relish, your choice of vegetable, a beverage and biscuits or corn muffins, as well as a tasty slice of Pumpkin Pecan Streusel pie for dessert, starting at 11 a.m. Adults $8.99, children $4.69.
Sheriff’s office fries turkeys
The Calhoun County Sheriff’s Office is holding its eighth annual turkey fry today, from 8 a.m.-7 p.m. behind the sheriff’s office headquarters. They’ll be preparing meals for charity and frying up residents’ turkeys for free. (It’s BYOT — Bring Your Own Turkey.)
Prudence does party foods
Join Anniston Star food columnist Prudence Hilburn at 2 p.m. Tuesday for a “Easy Party Foods for the Holidays” program at the Public Library of Anniston-Calhoun County.