• The Jacksonville Garden Club will meet at the Community Center on Wednesday, May 15 at 2 p.m. The program scheduled is a question and answer session conducted by Donald Judd, retired entomologist and plant pathologist.
• HayDay Vacation Bible School will be held June 3-5 at 6 p.m. for children between the ages of three and 12 at Jacksonville Church of God, 821 Francis St W. For more information call 256-490-6369.
• Major Dwayne Williams 6th Annual Memorial Golf Classic has been rescheduled for Saturday, June 8, 2013, at Anniston Country Club. Shotgun start beginning at 8 a.m. Two flights of prizes will be awarded to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place teams. For more information or a registration form, contact Nancy Turner by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. or 256-453-8607.
•The Jacksonville Quality of Life committee will hold its May meeting on the third Thursday, May 16th, at noon. The location will be the Board Room of the Board of Education building on the Kitty Stone campus. We will convene there and plan to have access to Forney Hall for a tour. Historical society chairman Jerrod Brown and councilwoman Sandra Sudduth will update us on historical preservation projects and priorities. All interested citizens are invited to attend. Call 256-435-7136 for more info.
• A nine-week program to get you off that couch and out the door running! The course will begin June 2 and will culminate in the Woodstock 5K run. Led by RRCA nationally certified running coach Lori Tippets. Call 256-452-8334 to sign up.
• Trade Day and Farmers Market at Nances Creek Community Center on the first Saturday of each month through October. It starts at 7 a.m. There is no set up fee.
• Join the Calhoun County Tree Amigos Master Gardeners for the first plant sale of the season. Unusual perennials, trees, and shrubs will be featured at the sale, Saturday, April 20th, 8a.m. - noon, Cane Creek Community Gardens at McClellan. Sale proceeds benefit the Tree Amigos program. For information please call 256-237-1621.
• YOU’RE INVITED TO LUNCH & LEARN….A series of free gardening programs sponsored by Calhoun County Master Gardeners & Calhoun County Commission held the 4th Wednesday of each month at the Cane Creek Community Garden at McClellan from noon-1pm ; bring your own lunch!
May 22 “Alabama the Beautiful”: Lisa Harris, Scenic Alabama
June 26 “A Simple Water Feature for the Garden”: Hayes Jackson, ACES
July 24 “Herb Gardening”: Dani Carroll, ACES
August 28 “Getting to Know the Talladega National Forest: Part 2”: Jonathan Stober, District Biologist
September 25 “Gardening for Dry Places”: Hayes Jackson, ACES
Speakers & topics subject to change. Contact the Extension Office to confirm. 256 237 1621
• Join us for Knit “and Crochet” Night at Yarns by HPF every first and third Thursday, from 5-7 p.m. at the shop. We are at 402 Pelham Rd. North by Subway.
• New classes for the Jacksonville State University Adult Wellness classes are: Monday, Wednesday and Friday: Senior water aerobics and senior floor aerobic classes, 8 a.m., Jacksonville State University, Pete Mathews Coliseum. Contact Aubrey Crossen at 256-689-2580 or email@example.com for more information and: Tuesday and Thursday: Senior water aerobics and senior therapeutic yoga classes, 8 a.m., Jacksonville State University, Pete Mathews Coliseum. Contact Aubrey Crossen at 256-689-2580 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• The Alabama Shutterbugs, a new club for all skill level of photographers, meets the second Tuesday of each month, 5:30 PM, at the Peerless Grill, 13 W 10th St. Anyone interested in photography is welcome to join us. For more information call 256.236.8488.
• Applications for Head Start are now being taken. Come visit a Head Start/Early Head Start Center in your community and talk with center coordinators or family advocates. For additional information in Calhoun and Cleburne counties call Gayle McClellan at 256-237-8628. Head Start Centers located in Calhoun County are Norwood, Piedmont, Ayers, Constantine and Hobson City. Children must be three years old by Sept. 1.
• Yoshukai Karate of Jacksonville offers classes at the Jacksonville Community Center on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:30-8 p.m. For more information call 256-282-5425.
• Mom to Mom, a group for moms of all ages with children of all ages, meets from 6:30-8:30 p.m. the third Monday every month at EaglePoint Church, Jacksonville. Visit www.momtomomjacksonville.org. Supper and childcare provided.
• The Jacksonville Aspiring Writers Group meets from 4:30 to 6 p.m. on the first and third Tuesday of every month at the Jacksonville Public Library. Anyone interested in the creative writing process is welcome. Please bring samples of your original writing to share. The group offers support, critique and information about writing and possible publishing venues. Call 256-782-2881 for more information.
• Alcoholics Anonymous meets at noon each Thursday at St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, 400 Chinabee Ave., just off the Square. Call 256-847-0909.
• A Narcotics Anonymous group meets from 6:30-7:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays at First United Methodist Church behind McDonald’s. For more information, call Pearl Williams at 256-435-4881.
• The Friday Night Opry Show is presented from 6:30-9:30 Friday nights at the Golden Saw Music Hall in the Williams community. Call 256-435-4696.
• Celebrate Recovery, a Christ-centered 12-step program, meets every Friday night at First Baptist Church in Jacksonville. Dinner is served at 5:30. Large group meetings with worship and praise bands and guest speakers begin at 6:30. Small share/support groups meet after that at 7:30 p.m., followed with cake and fellowship. Call 256-435-7263 or 256-225-2492.
• Ladies, come pray with us on the square in Jacksonville at 10 a.m. the first Thursday of each month. We will be praying for our city, our churches and pastors, our schools and children, our officials and businesses. If you have questions, call Polly Angelette at 256-435-7016.
• The Calhoun County Stamp Club meets at 7 p.m. on the second and fourth Tuesdays in Room 327 Stone Center, Jacksonville State University, corner of Church Avenue and Eleventh Street. Visitors and new members are welcome. Call 256-782-8044, 256- 782-5604 or 256- 435-7491.
• Jacksonville Fire Department is looking for information and items relating to the history of the department. If you have anything to share, call David Bell at 256- 310-8961.
• The Public Library Board of Trustees meets at 3:30 p.m. the third Wednesday of each month at the library annex. Anyone needing accommodations is asked to contact librarian Barbara Rowell at 256-435-6332.