• Hatcher Avenue Baptist Church will be having another yard sale along with a car wash fun raiser for the church beginning at 7 a.m. on Saturday, May 25. For more information call Brenda James at 256-310-2651 or 256-310-2567.
• There will be a blood drive with the American Red Cross on Wednesday, May 29 from 11-4 at the Walgreens in Jacksonville.
• National Active and Retired Federal Employees (NARFE) Chapter 1511 invites all federal civil service employees and retirees to its meeting, 10:45 AM, Thursday, May 23, 2013. Guest speaker: Randy Frost, Eastern Alabama Regional Development and Planning Commission. Location: DeSoto Pastime Center, Bldg 1530, Anniston Army Depot. Lunch available onsite. For information, call Joyce Smith, (256) 358-4257 or email email@example.com
• Hatcher Avenue Baptist Church will have Vacation Bible School June 3-7 from 6 to 8:30 p.m. For more information call Mellissa at 256-452-3479.
• HayDay Vacation Bible School will be held June 3-5 at 6 p.m. for children between the ages of three and 12 at Jacksonville Church of God, 821 Francis St W. For more information call 256-490-6369.
• Major Dwayne Williams 6th Annual Memorial Golf Classic has been rescheduled for Saturday, June 8, 2013, at Anniston Country Club. Shotgun start beginning at 8 a.m. Two flights of prizes will be awarded to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place teams. For more information or a registration form, contact Nancy Turner by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. or 256-453-8607.
• A nine-week program to get you off that couch and out the door running! The course will begin June 2 and will culminate in the Woodstock 5K run. Led by RRCA nationally certified running coach Lori Tippets. Call 256-452-8334 to sign up.
• Trade Day and Farmers Market at Nances Creek Community Center on the first Saturday of each month through October. It starts at 7 a.m. There is no set up fee.
• YOU’RE INVITED TO LUNCH & LEARN….A series of free gardening programs sponsored by Calhoun County Master Gardeners & Calhoun County Commission held the 4th Wednesday of each month at the Cane Creek Community Garden at McClellan from noon-1pm ; bring your own lunch!
May 22 “Alabama the Beautiful”: Lisa Harris, Scenic Alabama
June 26 “A Simple Water Feature for the Garden”: Hayes Jackson, ACES
July 24 “Herb Gardening”: Dani Carroll, ACES
August 28 “Getting to Know the Talladega National Forest: Part 2”: Jonathan Stober, District Biologist
September 25 “Gardening for Dry Places”: Hayes Jackson, ACES
Speakers & topics subject to change. Contact the Extension Office to confirm. 256 237 1621
• Join us for Knit “and Crochet” Night at Yarns by HPF every first and third Thursday, from 5-7 p.m. at the shop. We are at 402 Pelham Rd. North by Subway.
• New classes for the Jacksonville State University Adult Wellness classes are: Monday, Wednesday and Friday: Senior water aerobics and senior floor aerobic classes, 8 a.m., Jacksonville State University, Pete Mathews Coliseum. Contact Aubrey Crossen at 256-689-2580 or email@example.com for more information and: Tuesday and Thursday: Senior water aerobics and senior therapeutic yoga classes, 8 a.m., Jacksonville State University, Pete Mathews Coliseum. Contact Aubrey Crossen at 256-689-2580 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• Applications for Head Start are now being taken. Come visit a Head Start/Early Head Start Center in your community and talk with center coordinators or family advocates. For additional information in Calhoun and Cleburne counties call Gayle McClellan at 256-237-8628. Head Start Centers located in Calhoun County are Norwood, Piedmont, Ayers, Constantine and Hobson City. Children must be three years old by Sept. 1.