Small Talk: Berman's vintage bazaar offers a place to buy, sell consignment treasures
by Annette Maddox
Special to The Star
Nov 29, 2009 | 1200 views |  0 comments | 16 16 recommendations | email to a friend | print
It's time one again for Vintage Bazaar, the consignment sales event of vintage and unique treasures offered by Berman Museum members and community members. The sale is presented by Berman Alliance. Bazaar Chairman Lynne Isom and officers Louise Lokey, Susan Waldron and Robert Smith — plus Dan Mason, Patsy Young, Sarah Ballard, Janice Powell and other volunteers — invite you to participate as a seller, a shopper or both.

Here's your chance to sell those items that you can finally let go — and make money for yourself and for Berman Museum. Sellers retain 75 percent of sale price they set for their items; the remaining 25 percent benefits Berman Museum's general budget.

To sellers: Those wishing to participate should deliver their pre-priced treasures with completed info forms to Berman Museum from Nov. 30-Dec. 2. Advance requests for info forms can be emailed to DFord@BermanMuseum.org, or picked up at the museum. Retrieval of any unsold items must occur on Dec. 13 from 1-5 p.m. (to make space for a Monday morning commitment). Plan to bring up to a dozen items; requests for more must be pre-approved. If you are uncertain of items you are considering bringing, simply check in advance with the Berman's David Ford at 237-6261.

The most prized items are those smaller and finer in nature: vintage jewelry, art, antique books, dishes and porcelain, and accessory-sized furniture (no larger than a small coffee table). While no clothing is acceptable, vintage accessories like hats, scarves, hankies, etc., are welcome.

To shoppers: This event is neither a garage nor a rummage sale; it boasts higher quality items that hold memories which members are willing to share — "treasures you can part with," as Isom notes. At the 2008 Bazaar, one precious find was a sterling hinged-lid vegetable dish; another was a stunning Italian vase and a third was a pair of framed original pen-and-ink works. Items from the Art Deco period were quite coveted, too.

This seven-day sale is free to the public. Dates are Dec. 5-12 (closed Monday, Dec 7). Hours are 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday, 1-5 p.m. Sunday.

To all: Happily, Vintage Bazaar occurs during the fascinating Gee's Bend Quilts, and Beyond lobby exhibit; members showing a membership card can see this extraordinary exhibit for free. All others can view the quilts and all the museum exhibit halls for $5 admission.

Save the date



Anniston Museum League's ninth annual Homes for the Holidays Tour is Tuesday, from 11 a.m.-7 p.m. You can enter a quartet of Anniston's oldest — and newest — homes, all decked out in their holiday finery, during this self-driving tour, notes Chairman Becky Hollingsworth. Proceeds benefit Anniston Museum of Natural History. Tickets, $25, will be available at 904 Glenwood Terrace, Anniston, during this fascinating and festive affair.
Comments must be made through Facebook
No personal attacks
No name-calling
No offensive language
Comments must stay on topic
No infringement of copyrighted material


Friends to Follow



Most Recommended
Today's Events

event calendar

post a new event

Friday, April 18, 2014

Marketplace