The Children’s Market consignment sale will be 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Sept. 12-14; 8 a.m.-noon and 3-4 p.m. Sept. 15 at Jacksonville First United Methodist Church. Items for children, teens and expecting moms are to be featured. The proceeds will benefit the children’s ministry and other projects. Call 256-239-6033 or visit www.jaxfumckids.org for more information.
Cabot Barden will be the guest speaker at noon Sept. 6 at the Talladega Public Library’s brown bag lunch. Barden is an artist/songwriter and will be signing copies of his books from 10 a.m.-noon. The library will open the conference room at 11 a.m. to serve coffee and dessert.
Child safety day, sponsored by Mike Douglas, State Farm agent and FUMC, will be 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Sept. 12 at Jacksonville First United Methodist Church. State Farm’s child safety team will be on hand to inspect child seats to ensure proper installation and use of the seats. There is no cost to have a seat inspected and you do not need to be a State Farm customer.
An educational women’s conference will be 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. today at El Cazador Mexican Grill, 200 Vaughn Lane, Pell City, exit 158. The event is hosted by Lakeside Hospice of Pell City. Call Christine Smith at 205-884-1111 or at 800-427-3993 for more information.
The movie, The Hunger Games, sponsored by Ross Handy Mart, will be featured at 2 p.m. today at the Hobson City Public Library, 610 Martin Luther King Drive. A new homeschool (elementary) activity group is forming at the library with the first meeting at 2 p.m. Wednesday. Siblings are welcome. Parents are invited to bring ideas for the semester. Call Donna Ross at 256-831-7069 for more information.
The 2012 “Strive to be Alive” health and wellness extravaganza will be 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Friday at Quintard Mall. Zumba and taekwondo will begin at 10 a.m. Music, with the Blue Grass Buddies and other, will take place during the day. Health screenings, a scavenger hunt and bingo will also be featured. Call Mark Helms at 256-235-1955 or Teresa Tims at 256-235-1957 for more information.
The Positive Christian Singles will meet at 4:30 p.m. Sept. 3 at Western Sizzlin’ in Oxford. Ray Nelson will present the program. Call 256-820-3536 for more information.
Museum Day will be 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Sept. 8 at the Anniston Museum of Natural History and Museum of World History. The last admission will be 4:30 p.m. for both locations.
A craft show will be held Sept. 8 at Coldwater United Methodist Church, U.S. 78, behind Veterans Park on Coldwater Creek in Oxford. Spaces are available to rent for $20 for a single space. A check may be mailed to Coldwater Methodist Church, 181 Cecile Drive, Oxford, AL 36203. Call Dollie Young at 256-831-2389 for more information.
A Calhoun County rabies clinic, sponsored by Clanton Animal Hospital in Jacksonville, will be Sept. 8 at the following times/locations:
• 8-9:30 a.m., Town & Country Vet, U.S. 78 W., Oxford
• 11 a.m.-noon, Weaver City Park
• 8-9 a.m., Jacksonville High School, main entrance
• 9:30-10:30 a.m., Ohatchee Town Square (Old)
• 11 a.m.-noon, Alexandria High School
• 1:30-2:30 p.m., Piedmont Hardware & Lumber
• 8-9 a.m., Harmony Baptist Church
• 9:15-10:15 a.m., Golden Springs Pharmacy
• 10:45-11:45 a.m., Saks High School
• 1-2 p.m., Tractor Supply Store
This is the only clinic that will be held this year. The cost is $10 for the vaccine. No other vaccines will be available. Call 256-4345-8387 for more information.
The Selwood Farm clay shoot, sponsored by Lakeside Hospice of Pell City, will be 11:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Sept. 5 at 706 Selwood Road in Alpine. Call 205-884-1111 for more information.
Gentiva Hospice’s Oxford office is sponsoring its 8th annual food drive during August to benefit the Anniston Soup Bowl. If you would like to make a donation you may drop off any non-perishable food items at 1825 Day St., Oxford. Call Andrea Reaves at 256-831-2964 for more information.
The Junior Auxiliary Unit 312 bake sale will be noon-4 p.m. Sept. 1 at American Legion Kelly-Steadham Post 312, 1330 W. 10th St. Call 256-236-9434 for more information.
The Marine Corps and the Montford Point Marine Association is looking for African Americans who trained at the segregated Marine facility Camp Montford Point from 1942-1949. Legislation to award the original Montford Point Marines with a Congressional Gold Medal was signed by President Obama in November 2011. To be counted among the original Montford Point Marines and receive a replica medal, documentation such as the DD214 or discharge paperwork, is required. Call Joe Geeter at 610-495-3619 or Willie Davenport at 256-354-2291 for more information.
The St. Charles annual yard sale will be 7 a.m.-2 p.m. Aug. 25 at St. Charles Catholic Church, 308 Seventh St. N.E., Jacksonville. Call Doris Williams at 256-435-5936 for more information.
The Salvation Army food pantry is in desperate need of canned vegetables, meats and fruits to continue to feed those in need during the summer months. Cash donations would also be appreciated. Donations may be delivered to 420 Noble St. Mail checks to The Salvation Army, P.O. Box 218, Anniston, AL 36202.
The Girl Scouts of North-Central Alabama offer programs open to all girls. Upcoming events to be held at Camp Cottaquilla include:
• Fancy Nancy-aspiring artist, for grades K-3rd grade, 10 a.m.-noon, Sept. 15. Girls will create their own artistic masterpieces in a badge-earning opportunity. The cost is $12 per girl, $3 per adult. Non-Girl Scouts will need to pay the $12 annual membership fee to register, which allows a girl to participate in programs all year. Deadline is Aug. 30 to register.
• Fancy Nancy and the Mermaid Ballet, for grades K-3rd, a dance show, 2-4 p.m. Sept. 15. The cost is $12 per girl, $3 per adult. Non-Girl Scouts will need to pay the $12 annual membership fee to register, which allows a girl to participate in programs all year. Deadline is Thursday to register.
• Sewing workshop, for 2nd-3rd grade students, 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.; 4th-8th grade students, 1:30-4:30 p.m., Sept. 22. Earn the council’s Juliette Sews patch. The cost is $12 per girl. Non-Girl Scouts will need to pay the $12 annual membership fee to register, which allows a girl to participate in programs all year. Registration deadline is Sept. 6.
Contact email@example.com for more information. Register online at girlscoutsnca.org/program-registration.
Upcoming events at the Public Library of Anniston-Calhoun County include:
• Monday, noon, movie, Three Musketeers (2011 release)
• Tuesday, 10 a.m., Something Sweet story time
Call 256-237-8501, ext. 5, for more information.